Last night at dinner I couldn't eat. I had prepared chicken so I just assumed that was the issue since I haven't loved poultry this time around. I sat down to take care of Seth and I just could not get comfortable. My stomach was incredibly tight and then the contractions started. I tried some different things to see if I could get them to go away, but after an hour and a half of them coming every 3-7 minutes, I called my mom and she agreed I should call the doctor.
After explaining what was going on, she wanted to see me. I called a friend that lives nearby and she was willing to come sit at the house since Seth was already in bed. When we got to the hospital they took a urine sample and swabbed me. I never knew this - but I guess the baby secretes something when they are ready to come, so by swabbing me, they'd be able to tell a lot! They hooked me up and the contractions were strong enough for them to see on the monitor. The doctor came and checked me and my cervix was closed which was a great sign. They decided to start me on fluids and see how things looked after 30 minutes. They subsided a bit, but the doctor got stuck in 2 back-to-back surgeries and by the time she got out the contractions had come back even more intense and more frequent, so they gave me a shot of Terbutaline. She wanted to see me have less than 6 contractions in an hour time. At this point we knew that the swab test had come back negative, so they were fairly confident I wasn't in labor.
Jeremy actually left at this point because we weren't prepared for this to be a long term thing and they had no idea how long it would take for things to calm down, if I'd need another dose of the shot. The doctor started talking about what our game plan would be in the morning and we weren't prepared to leave Seth for the whole night, so he took off to go relieve our babysitter and I was going to try and get some rest. Well, of course, in that first hour after they gave me the shot I only had 3 contractions so they said I could go home! I called Jeremy and he had just gotten home, so he scooped up Seth and came back for me and we all went to bed when we got home, around 1:30am. I had more contractions on the way home and before I was able to fall asleep, but so far so good this morning.
The doctor said they can never be sure what causes contractions sometimes. Since the fluids didn't work, it could not have been dehydration, or I could have just been extra behind on it. I could have overdone it that day or as my friend said, Lucas could have just wanted March to come in like a Lion : ) His nickname is now officially Lucas the Lion. Especially since he was a turd the whole time at the hospital, having a dance party and making it impossible to keep the monitor on him. He looked great though, the Doctor had no concern for him and my cervix never changed during it all.
Jeremy was able to take the day off so we are just going to lay low and recuperate today! Thank you to everyone we reached out to who prayed for our little guy to stay inside <3
No comments:
Post a Comment