Lucas decided to arrive two weeks early, which his Momma did not complain about at all. I had been feeling quite uncomfortable and ready for a while at the time and we had already had two false alarms with labor signs. My in-laws came into town for spring break to work on some projects that we had wanted to get done before he arrived. It's really awesome to look back and see how God worked in it all. We didn't do the projects we thought we were going to do and after Seth had got to spend most of the week with them, my water broke. Not only did this allow Grandpa and Grandma to meet their newest grandson before they went back to NY, but it also allowed us to just leave Seth at home with them instead of packing him up to go stay at our friends' like we had planned. I will take a moment right now to say how thankful I am that they were here and all that they did for Seth and for us. And how blessed I feel to have another example of God's hand at work in my life. I should never be surprised when these pop up so black and white.
So, a bit more detail. I have to mention that Wednesday we went and ate the magical macaroni and cheese because for all I know, it could have helped things along again hahaha Actually, that night was our second false alarm with labor. We went in since I was having contractions every 2 minutes, but was sent back home. Thursday my mother-in-law treated me to a wonderful pedicure that was incredibly relaxing and then we had a quiet night at home. Friday morning when I got out of bed, I experienced the same thing I did with Seth (although I didn't feel a pop). There was no gush, but there was no doubt that my water had broke! So a quick call to the hospital and throwing some things into our bag, we were headed out the door! The process got started as soon as we arrived - questions, IV fluids and pitocin.

I progressed pretty slowly just like I did with Seth. I wasn't feeling much pain with the contractions so they kept increasing my pitocin dose. I have to say, this labor was far more enjoyable (as enjoyable as labor can be) than it was for Seth. My doctor was on vacation just like she was for Seth, but I absolutely loved the doctor that I got. Since I was progressing so slowly, they actually did an ultrasound to make sure he wasn't breach and at that point the doctor checked me and realized that my amniotic sac had resealed itself (who knew that could happen!?). So, he broke that and we got things rolling! I voted for the epidural and was able to relax for a bit. Right around 7pm I started having awful contractions. My nurse gave me the button on my epidural to get an extra "shot" every 10 minutes, so Jeremy took control of that - closely watching the clock and giving me more when I could have it. Unfortunately, there was no relief. I was in pain and I desperately wanted to push, but I wasn't 10cm yet so my nurse told me to breath through them. Finally, the doctor came in to check me and told me I was clear to push. He set up camp along with the rest of the crew and after just 4 short pushes, our boy was lying on my chest at 9:01pm! They did have to take him over to the table to get him better stimulated, but they didn't have to take him to the nursery so I was glad for that!


That night my best friend brought me a big ole' big mac (since McDonalds was the only thing open) and Jeremy and I had our first night with Lucas! He was super duper sleepy so we were actually able to get a ton of rest, but the nurses and I were both anxious for him to start eating a bit more! The next day Jeremy's parents brought Seth for a visit.
Thankfully since Lucas and I were both doing well enough, we were able to go home at the 24 hour mark! Jeremy's parents stayed a couple extra days, so we had Sunday together before they left Monday morning and life began for the 4 of us : )

I progressed pretty slowly just like I did with Seth. I wasn't feeling much pain with the contractions so they kept increasing my pitocin dose. I have to say, this labor was far more enjoyable (as enjoyable as labor can be) than it was for Seth. My doctor was on vacation just like she was for Seth, but I absolutely loved the doctor that I got. Since I was progressing so slowly, they actually did an ultrasound to make sure he wasn't breach and at that point the doctor checked me and realized that my amniotic sac had resealed itself (who knew that could happen!?). So, he broke that and we got things rolling! I voted for the epidural and was able to relax for a bit. Right around 7pm I started having awful contractions. My nurse gave me the button on my epidural to get an extra "shot" every 10 minutes, so Jeremy took control of that - closely watching the clock and giving me more when I could have it. Unfortunately, there was no relief. I was in pain and I desperately wanted to push, but I wasn't 10cm yet so my nurse told me to breath through them. Finally, the doctor came in to check me and told me I was clear to push. He set up camp along with the rest of the crew and after just 4 short pushes, our boy was lying on my chest at 9:01pm! They did have to take him over to the table to get him better stimulated, but they didn't have to take him to the nursery so I was glad for that!


That night my best friend brought me a big ole' big mac (since McDonalds was the only thing open) and Jeremy and I had our first night with Lucas! He was super duper sleepy so we were actually able to get a ton of rest, but the nurses and I were both anxious for him to start eating a bit more! The next day Jeremy's parents brought Seth for a visit.
Thankfully since Lucas and I were both doing well enough, we were able to go home at the 24 hour mark! Jeremy's parents stayed a couple extra days, so we had Sunday together before they left Monday morning and life began for the 4 of us : )





That is adorable! I love how it took him a while to realize that you were holding a baby! So cute!
ReplyDeleteSuper sweet!!! His little face softened as he realized there was a little baby Lucas in your arms. I loved your tears <3
ReplyDeleteThe first picture you posted of Lucas and then Jeremy directly under!!!! WOW what a resemblance!
ReplyDelete